Wednesday, April 8, 2009

tick tock tick tock....


Here's one of my favourite pieces, a clockwork heart brooch. I've been known to call my heart, the beaty thing, the organic pump, machine that needs to stop... yes I don't like emotion, yet I thrive on it. This piece was one of my "ten piece" collection. It was inspired in part by a friend who designed a piece of jewellery based on Karl Ruprecht Kroenen, a vilian from the hellboy series, who has a clockwork heart, read him up on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Ruprecht_Kroenen , i do not condone wikipedia as the information is unsourced and though mostly right does contain some errors). The piece was also inspired by a bit of an emotional setback I had and I wished at that time to be able to turn my heart off like a machine, hence silencing the beaty thing. The brooch is large about 6 cm in diameter, the outside is flypressed quite shallow and pierced in a cracked and beat open manner. The bottom gears are soldered onto the back plate and are slightly smaller than the tope gears. The top gears sit ontop of cheniers cut .2mm higher than the bottom gears. These in turn can move and connect. The inside was oxidised and scratch brushed to give a worn and old manner like the heart has been through much damage and abuse.

No comments: